Thursday, January 10

book of mormon challenge


while sitting in the women's conference last October, I felt strongly that I needed to follow the prophet and do my best to do whatever he counseled the women to do. during his talk he said he wanted to challenge us to do four things and I immediately thought "dang it! why did I have to commit to doing whatever he said before he said it!!" lol. but it turned out to be exactly what I needed (of course!). two of his challenges, I feel, were very specific to what I needed/need in my life. first he challenged us to read the book of mormon by the end of the year and focus our studies on the savior. 

"I invite you to read the Book of Mormon between now and the end of the year. As impossible as that may seem with all you are trying to manage in your life, if you will accept this invitation with full purpose of heart, the Lord will help you find a way to achieve it. And, as you prayerfully study, I promise that the heavens will open for you. The Lord will bless you with increased inspiration and revelation.
As you read, I would encourage you to mark each verse that speaks of or refers to the Savior. Then, be intentional about talking of Christ, rejoicing in Christ, and preaching of Christ with your families and friends.2 You and they will be drawn closer to the Savior through this process. And changes, even miracles, will begin to happen.
This morning the announcement was made regarding the new Sunday schedule and home-centered, Church-supported curriculum. You, my dear sisters, are a key to the success of this new, balanced, and coordinated gospel-teaching effort. Please teach those whom you love what you are learning from the scriptures. Teach them how to turn to the Savior for His healing and cleansing power when they sin. And teach them how to draw upon His strengthening power every day of their lives."
there are so many blessings promised here by president nelson that I need in my life. that everyone needs in their lives. 
very soon after this challenge was extended I received an invite from my dear friends, Carolina, Larissa, and Amy, to do this challenge together. we would each read at our own pace and then check in each day with any insights that we had via texts. I had no idea how powerful this would be. man, I have been blessed with amazing friends! not only did we reconnect through daily chats, but we were able to connect on a much deeper level. on a spiritual level. I didn't know how much my spirit had been craving that! 
I feel like the Savior knew how much the women in the church needed this supercharge before heading into the new year. think about how amazing that is: the majority of the sisters worldwide marching into the new year with a deeper love of the Savior and a deeper appreciation of the scriptures, to lead their families with their husbands in their homes! its incredible!!!
I was able to finish the book of mormon before Christmas and it was the best gift i've ever been given. i've always had a testimony of the teachings in the book of mormon, of Joseph Smith translating it, and even the prophets within its pages. but after dedicating so much time each day for a short period of time, I realized that up until that point I didn't necessarily have a definitive testimony of the book itself. I do now. i've read it multiple times on my own, multiple times with Chris, and multiple times with my family, but it felt so different this time. I was able to learn new ways to study and think. it was invigorating! 
the other challenge that was very specific to my needs was to attend the temple regularly.
"establish a pattern of regular temple attendance. This may require a little more sacrifice in your life. More regular time in the temple will allow the Lord to teach you how to draw upon His priesthood power with which you have been endowed in His temple. For those of you who don’t live near a temple, I invite you to study prayerfully about temples in the scriptures and in the words of living prophets. Seek to know more, to understand more, to feel more about temples than you ever have before."
Chris and I have decided to make this a goal. maybe I should say that I made this a goal and Chris doesn't have a choice but to join me haha! its something we have struggled with in the past and I feel as though some of the challenges we've had in our lives and marriage could've been eased if we had been making the effort to regularly attend the temple together. luckily we are the point that we have a temple 45 minutes away and Jack can babysit (even though that makes us a little nervous for this length of time). but this goal is reachable for us if we plan right. so far, we did miss November. but that's ok! we're still doing better than we have ever done since being married and living away from Utah. 
anyways, I just felt like I needed to write these things down for myself and even for my kids to read someday. I hope they will always know that I believe in and sustain the prophet of the Lord. 

No comments: