Monday, December 7

let the wild rumpus start!

 

because of several weeks filled with fun, magic, and love,
 the beginning of the holiday season always makes me think of the line in Where the Wild Things Are:
Let the wild rumpus start!

thanksgiving 2020 was one for the record books!
despite our governor basically shutting down the state for thanksgiving, we decided that those of our nearby family that felt up to gathering were welcome to join us for a feast. Doug, Denise, Spencer, Evan and Blake came from Chillicothe, Marc and DeLauna came from Lewis Center, and Morgan, Chris, Kate, Abby, and baby Jack came from St Louis. it was a beautiful day filled with lots of laughter (from kids and adults alike!), sweet little babies running around, football, naps and SO MUCH GOOD FOOD.


jack and jack! 








so thankful for my Ellie! all the kids helped clean the house the day before, but Ellie stuck around to help me make sweet potato casserole, jalapeño popper dip, bake pies, make a salted caramel ganache tart, and decorate the tables. she was my special helper behind the scenes and I love that she enjoys cooking and decorating tables as much as I do! I know she will be a great little homemaker some day (as long as she has a husband that doesn't mind helping her clean up hahaha).



on Saturday after thanksgiving, we went to homestead tree farm to cut down our Christmas tree!













a couple other things we've done so far to kick off the Christmas season have been watching the first presidency Christmas devotional last night (always my favorite!), 

went into the village to say hi to Santa as he drove by and then getting candy cane frozen custard at whit's



went to the village candlelight walking tour (which was just not the same this year due to Covid precautions). The elementary school kids always make ceramic ornaments to decorate the Christmas trees that line the sidewalks. this year though, the kids couldnt make ceramic ornaments, so they made paper ones. we found Owen's class tree and wouldn't you know it, his bell ornament was front and center!


enjoyed sugar cookies from one of my YW and her family (pretty much melted my heart that she made a special Baby Yoda one for us!!!)




and I've also put together a little Christmas gift for the YW with one of my counselors. 

she made these cute little vials of hot cocoa and I got a bunch of socks and put tags on them that said "Follow in HIS Footsteps this Christmas season". kinda cheesy, but Ellie thought it was awesome, so I went with it.





last week we even had a snow day which really got us pumped for the Christmas season! we have a few more fun things planned and Owen is really hoping to try ice skating for the first time... maybe this weekend we'll give it a whirl!

No comments: